Friday, May 15, 2009

Integrity and Respect

When I was growing up, I enjoyed going out to my grandparents' farm every weekend. My grandfather used to ride me around on the tractor. I got to help collect the eggs from the chickens, watch the pigs and cows, and help my grandmother pick vegetables in the garden. Of course, her garden was about the size of a typical field.

What I remember the most was riding into town with my grandfather to go to the feed and seed store. Everyone we passed would wave and my grandfather would wave back. In this small farming community, all of the people would ask how you were and talk about the latest happenings. My grandfather would buy me a Moon Pie to keep my busy while he was getting some seed or a new socket wrench.

At the time, all of this seemed like a typical Saturday routine. In reflection though, I realize how all of the people had compassion towards one another. Everyone was truly concerned with any issues that might have come up. They all had integrity and it showed in the way they interacted with one another. People displayed a mutual respect that has been lost in society today.

In the age of instant communications and high ratings, the news media has scrapped all journalistic integrity in favor of sensationalism. They will news stories based on hearsay that will appeal to the audiences even if it means foregoing the truth. The days of getting the facts straight has gone the way of being the first to accuse. The political parties are eager to take advantage of this in order to ridicule their opponents.

I miss the small town life I once knew. Even today, small towns are facing the same issues as big cities where television and the Internet has eroded the moral integrity that once existed. The respect we once cherished has been replaced with an attitude of arrogance and appeal.

My grandfather worked hard to provide for our family. He made sure we had the basic necessities in life. He taught me how having integrity and respect you will also have trust. I do not trust our media and politicians any more. Until our country can regain the moral soul it has lost, we will not be able to have the great society that once was our beacon of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment